Incredible Health Benefits of Calamansi You Didn’t Know Before
Calamondin or calamansi is an Asian fruit with many names, including panama orange, golden lime, Chinese orange, kalamansi, or lemonsito. This tiny orange tastes like a cross between a lime and an orange. It may not be the most powerful citrus fruit out there, but it provides you with a range of nutrients to contribute to your health and well-being.
Amazing Benefits of Calamansi
1. It Improves Your Skin Condition
Calamansi is packed with vitamin C or ascorbic acid that helps improve your immune system and boosts collagen production at the same time. By increasing collagen production, it refines your skin and keeps it healthy. With its skin bleaching properties, calamansi also works great to improve your complexion. Calamansi extract is mild and natural, and this is why you can use it even if you have sensitive skin. You can also apply it directly on affected areas twice a week to see positive results.
2. It Lowers Weight
If you want to lose weight, calamansi juice is a great choice because it is a low-calorie drink. Drinking calamansi juice regularly helps detoxify your colon. It also purifies your organs and prevents constipation by eliminating stored fat and regulating bowel movement. A glass of calamansi juice before a meal helps make you feel fuller. This in turn keeps you from overeating and helps you achieve your weight loss goal.
3. It Eliminates Body Odor
One of many benefits of calamansi is that it works as an all-natural body odor eliminator. You will benefit a lot if you are concerned about excessive perspiration. It has antibacterial properties and kills odor-causing bacteria. You can soak in a bathtub after squeezing a couple of calamansi fruits in it or apply it directly on your affected area.
5. It Works As a Condiment
You can rely on calamansi juice when looking for an excellent condiment. It can add a special flavor to your foods, and work great when marinating pork, chicken, or beef meat. You can also mix it with soy sauce and use it for roasted and fried meat.
6. It Protects Your Teeth
Calamansi juice provides you with vitamin C that boosts your immune system and prevents infections and diseases. Its regular consumption prevents gingivitis, tooth decay, and bleeding gums. It can also be used to whiten your teeth.
7. It Protects You From Flu and Colds
Thanks to the presence of vitamin C and many minerals, calamansi juice strengthens your immune system and prevents common colds and other infections. Regular consumption of calamansi juice can also accelerate recovery from bacterial and viral infections.
8. It Clears Dandruff
Dry scalp can cause dandruff, and calamansi can help keep your scalp from becoming dry. Besides, calamansi juice can increase your hair volume, and ease the irritation and itchiness caused by dandruff.
What’s more, calamansi juice can serve as body cleanser, keep your breath fresh, lighten freckles, and cure coughs as well. Regular consumption of calamansi juice maintains kidney health, prevents osteoarthritis and diabetes, and lowers blood cholesterol. It also serves as a tonic for your liver and makes it easy to deal with a hangover.
Note: Although so many benefits are associated with calamansi, you should avoid eating excessive amount of it, or you may end up dealing with digestive problems.
Recommended Ways to Use Calamansi
You already know the benefits of calamansi, but you may be wondering how to use it. Here are some suggestions:
1. Make Calamansi Juice
Here is what to do:
- Take the calamansi, wash it thoroughly, and drain it.
- Carefully cut the upper portion without cutting the seeds.
- Use fruit extract or squeeze manually. Then add some water and sugar. Be sure to add one and ¾ part sugar for one part of water.
- Leave it in the refrigerator if you want a clear juice. It may take three days until you notice the fruit pulp floating over the juice. You can remove the pulp or leave it in to get more fiber.
- Finally, add 4 cups of honey and then transfer the juice into a sterile plastic container. Then you can put the container into the refrigerator.
2. Use It to Whiten Your Skin
One of many benefits of calamansi is that it helps whiten your skin. You can do it in the following way:
- Take a blender and put two pieces of calamansi fruit in it. Be sure to blend it completely.
- Take a soft towel and place the blended fruit onto it. Pat the towel for some time until the juice is absorbed into the towel.
- You can rub the towel on certain dark areas of your skin, such as the elbows, the knees and armpits. You can also use it to whiten your face.
- Be sure to apply it on your skin everyday for a week to get better results.