HERE’S HOW TO RECOGNIZE FAKE CINNAMON AND BUY THE RIGHT ONE?
Since ancient times, cinnamon is one important spice used for both culinary and medicinal purposes. But…You must be very careful because not all cinnamon is good and real one. Here’s how to differentiate between fake and real cinnamon.
However, there is a significant difference between the true Ceylon cinnamon and the Cassia cinnamon which is usually sold in most of the grocery stores.
The good one is rich in powerful health benefits while the bad one can seriously harm the overall health especially the liver.
How to Differentiate Between Fake and Real Cinnamon?
First of all, both of these types of cinnamon come from different species of tree. The real cinnamon comes from India, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Madagascar or the Caribbean while the fake one comes from Indonesia, China, and Vietnam.
Second, these types differ in flavor and appearance. The store sold cinnamon is characterized by dark reddish brown color and spicy flavor while the real one has a lighter color and sweet, mild and delicious flavor.
Third, the most striking difference between these types of cinnamon is the compound’s content known as coumarin.
The Ceylon cinnamon contains about 0.017 g/kg while Cassia cinnamon contains 2.15 -6.97 g/kg of coumarin.
Coumarin is a potent anticoagulant and blood thinner, and it is not recommended for people who use medications such as Warfarin. Along with its effects on the blood, if consumed above the recommended dose, it can harm the liver. The tolerable daily intake is about 0.1 mg/kg of body weight.
So, a person who weighs 68 kg should have about 6.8 mg per day. Because 1 gram of cinnamon contains 2.15-6.97 mg of this substance, you can consume about 1/5 of a tsp per day.
In order to provide the needed health benefits, take more of this but make sure it is the Ceylon type of cinnamon.
How to Choose a High-Quality Cinnamon?
1. Take a look at the cinnamon label. Choose the one labeled as:True cinnamon
2. Make sure you buy organic cinnamon in order to avoid the contamination with preservatives and pesticides.
3. In the case of cinnamon bark, the real cinnamon curls in a circle while the fake one appears in a two-curled stick.
4. The real one is lighter, powdery and fluffy in contrast to the conventional cinnamon.
5. The real one is usually more expensive. However, this may not be the best indication, but it can help a lot.
The Health Benefits of True Cinnamon
Once we discussed the differences between the two types of cinnamon and how to choose the best product, it’s time to discuss the health benefits of this incredible spice.
1. Cinnamon is rich in manganese, a trace mineral which plays an important role in metabolizing carbs and fats and maintaining healthy bones.
It is also high in fiber which improves digestion, calcium which strengthens bones and iron which promotes energy production. So, it abounds with potent nutritive properties.
2. Cinnamon abounds in powerful antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral qualities which protect the immune system from flu and colds.
3. According to research, the anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon can protect against neurodegenerative disease including Alzheimer’s disease. This disease significantly increases its rates in North America, so it is highly important to obtain the protective benefits of this incredible spice.
4. If you suffer from insulin resistance, prediabetes, Type 2 diabetes and PCOS, cinnamon will definitely help you a lot. Some studies have shown that ½ tsp of cinnamon a day can reduce the spiking glucose levels, blood pressure, and HbA1C by improving the insulin response.
5. Cinnamon can prevent the early signs of aging due to the powerful effects on the oxidative and inflammatory compounds in the body.
How to Get the Most Out of Cinnamon?
Here are some recipes that will help you get the most out of this incredible spice. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Cinnamon
You need the following ingredients:1 tbsp. of butter, coconut oil or ghee
½ chopped sweet potato
1 tbsp. of diced yellow or red onion
1 tsp of cinnamon (Those who love cinnamon can add even more)
¼ tsp of cayenne
Sea salt for taste
1. In a frying pan, heat some oil on medium heat. The entire bottom of the frying pan should be covered.
2. Add onions, sweet potatoes, cayenne, cinnamon, and salt.
3. With a spatula, stir the mixture well.
4. Cover it with occasional stirring.
5. When the hash browns are soft, remove the cover and fry it quickly in a little hot fat for a minute.
6. Remove the pan from heat and serve.
Eggs – poached, scrambled, over easy
Seeds and Nuts – hemp and walnuts are an excellent source of protein
Ground meat – chicken, turkey, bison, beef. Add some of your favorite spices and herbs to some of these types of meat.
We hope this article will help you make a difference between the two types of cinnamon and you won’t be deceived to buy some fake one.